![]() |
| Writer's Note: This post was late - because I'm a procrastinator. Thanksgiving 2015 |
According to history, the Day of Thanksgiving, celebrated by most Americans, is a celebration of prosperous harvest. Two cultures gathered as one to honor a successful season of harvest.
Almost four centuries later, we commemorate this occasion with friends and family, good food and the same intentions of gratefulness for all the plenty we humbly received.
I have many to thank for this year. Here's a small list of that:
Friends - there are many friends surrounding me and I am overwhelmed. From helping me survive by my lonesome, never leaving me alone, always checking up to see if I'm okay or simply the smiles and simple presence; my friends have become the firm foundation so I can do many other wonderful things. However thankful I am for having them, I don't seem to grasp the correct way to show my gratitude. I hope one day I will learn this so my friends don't feel I'm only there because I need them.
Family - though we are scattered all over the world, my direct family is still healthy. My mother is still alive; my father's doctor said his body is younger than his age; my brothers are still below the prime of their lives; my sisters are creating memorable marks in their own ways -- and I have nieces and nephews that reminds me of the tenacity this family has to thrive and live in simplicity and comfort.
Labor - I thank God everyday that I've grown a lot in a few years though I feel that sometimes it's a bit too late. The strength that He gives me and the courage that He bestows are mostly what I ask for and these blessings are what keep me grounded, reminding me that I have to work hard to enjoy prosperity in the end.
Most simply, I am thankful for small get-togethers. For an introvert like me, large crowds are never my comfort zones. I may interact but it never lasts long.
This year, I had a simple thanksgiving dinner with a friend. For years, we have found that we compliment each other - I help her release grief and anger - even small whiny things is important to release. In return, she gives me answers on my questions in life. I breathe in her brutal honesty; and she breathes out to my listening heart. I am thankful to have made this unique friendship.
And with that, a hearty Filipino Spaghetti, roasted Chicken (from Lucky's) for dinner; and some Filipino Champorrado and Tuyo (dried, salted Herring) for breakfast the day after.
Filipino Spaghetti - just like the Filipino heart, our meat sauce is hearty with ground beef sauteed with onions, garlic and tomatoes. We smother them with tomato sauce and add banana sauce (like UFC Banana Ketchup available in most Asian markets) and sprinkle a little bit of sugar to add sweet Filipino soul. We top them with sliced hotdogs and sometimes, mushrooms.
My personal instant favorite is Del Monte Spaghetti Sauce.
![]() |
| Photo credit: http://adobomart.com/158/del-monte-spaghetti-sauce-filipino-pouch-560g.jpg |
Champorrado - usually identified as "chocolate pudding," it is measured as 1 cup of rice (sweet Japanese rice is best used), 4 1/2 cups of water and a tablet of Spanish Cocoa (I grew up using Antonio Pueo rolls of Cacao). This pudding is served with evaporated milk and sprinkled with sugar.
| Photo Credit: http://www.marketmanila.com/images/aatab1.JPG |
Tuyo (dried Herring) - these days, Sardines is the choice to make this dried, salty fish. As unhealthy as it is, traditional Filipino household enjoy this as breakfast complimented by the sweet Champorrado, or dipped in vinegar and paired with a salsa made of diced tomatoes and salted duck eggs. Long preparation for this delicacy starts with the Herring rubbed in sea salt and soaked with it overnight. It is rinsed the next day and sun-dried until well done.


No comments:
Post a Comment